A new consumer awareness campaign by American Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society asks individuals to “look for the O” if they are experiencing pain in their foot and ankle.
The “O” in this case stands for Orthopedic Surgeon, and they are experts in all things foot and ankle. If you suffer an acute injury or just begin to notice that something feels different in your foot or ankle, look up an orthopedic expert in your area.
“Consumers don’t generally give much thought to their foot health – that is, until something goes wrong,” stated Jeffrey E. Johnson, MD, president of the AOFAS Board of Directors. “But 75% of all people experience foot pain at some point in their lives. That’s why AOFAS leadership felt it was imperative to educate consumers, so that they know how to find the best medical care before a problem arises.”
Look For The “O”
The “Look For The O” campaign stresses the importance of heading to a professional who specializes in foot and ankle conditions when you have concerns over foot or ankle pain. These professionals have distinct knowledge of common and uncommon foot disorders, and they can better diagnose and treat the condition than a primary care doctor.
The “Look for the O” campaign is grounded in five core messages, which are:
- That foot and ankle surgeons are fully trained medical doctors who can balance foot and ankle concerns with the patient’s whole body health.
- That foot and ankle surgeons complete extensive as well as ongoing medical training, which increases their expertise and effectiveness.
- That foot and ankle orthopaedic surgeons don’t just operate, but provide both surgical and non-surgical treatments for everything related to foot and ankle health.
- That foot and ankle orthopaedic surgeons are particularly competent at treating complicated cases.
- That consumers should seek a second opinion from a foot and ankle orthopaedic surgeon, particularly when foot or ankle surgery is advised.
In addition to their core goals, the American Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society has created a website to help spread awareness and inform people about common foot conditions. The website is MyFootCareMD.com, and it allows users to learn more about foot conditions and search for an orthopedic surgeon in their area. The site also has information for doctors to make available to patients in their office and waiting rooms.
“AOFAS wants consumers to reach out and connect with a foot and ankle orthopaedic surgeon when they have any kind of foot or ankle problem,” said Dr. Johnson. “We think this campaign will go a long way toward increasing public awareness about the value our members provide to patients every day.”
So if you are dealing with foot or ankle pain, reach out to an orthopedic surgeon like Dr. Silverman. You can do that by clicking here to be taken to our contact page, or by typing your question below.
Lance Silverman, MD
Latest posts by Lance Silverman, MD (see all)
- 5 Tips To Prevent Foot and Ankle Injuries When Snowboarding - January 24, 2018
- 5 Sneaky Reasons Your Shoes Are Causing Foot Pain - January 23, 2018
- Running After Achilles Tendon Rupture - January 18, 2018